I have wanted to try this particular art form for quite some time but two things held me back:
1. I was worried I would end up just copying someone else’s idea if I didn’t get inspired myself, and that was not acceptable! (here’s why)
2. I find intensely detailed techniques to be very hard to get myself motivated.
Yet, along came the day when I needed to make a poster and it needed to be b&w, so what better chance to test out this particular style. It would work perfectly with another idea I had for head silhouettes to go on the back of the production program.
So off I went..
Drawing it out was a little complicated; whereas, normally I would simply draw and paint on top, instead I had to concentrate on which parts would be seen (cut out). As my piece was meant to show light shining out of a wardrobe and silhouetting 2 figures this made it particularly important to cut out the right areas. The paper also needed to stay as one piece.
I made a few hiccups and slipped a little, but all in all it went well. This is a picture of it stuck on my bathroom wall to show how a papercutting technique works.
So it came out ok but without the detail I was hoping for. The main problem with detail was.. well, how much detail can you put on a wardrobe door (inside). I was pleased with the light on the floor though. The whimsy worked rather well and although I would definitely need another knife for more work like this, it came out.
Editing on my beloved Mac was a must though. So after a bit of tweaked fonts, colours and sharpness (as well as getting rid of the few smudges still on the paper), my final product is below (shamelessly plugging the wonderful production of Shadowlands).