THE FOLLOWING ARE NOTES FOR LECTURES GIVEN AT NEW COLLEGE, BIRMINGHAM. I AM NOT AN EXPERT AND BOOKS WILL BE CREDITED TO SHOW WHERE MY INFORMATION IS COMING FROM. IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, COMMENT ON THIS POST AND I WILL TRY MY BEST TO ANSWER.
For the final and fifteenth lecture of the semester, we’re having a quiz where correct answers are rewarded with chocolate. Hope you revised!
1. True or false: in the Old Testament God was deeply connected to a particular fixed location.
2. Name the three main religions which have evangelism as a core idea.
3. How did people feel about the Jews around the time of Jesus?
4. True or false: the Jews held the responsibility to spread God’s blessing, not just keep it to themselves.
5. What does “gospel” mean?
6. Was the spread of Christianity in the first 400 years fast or slow?
7. Describe how Paul spread the gospel.
8. By 166AD how many Christians were there in Rome?
9. In which directions did Christianity spread?
10. Which disciple is said to have made a spiritual palace for the Emperor of India?
11. Who brought Christianity to Ireland?
12. What happened in ~622AD?
13. True or false: in some muslim areas it was illegal to convert from Islam to Christianity.
14. How many saxons did Augustine and his monks baptise in Britain?
15. Who set up monastries across Scotland including Iona?
16. True or false: Boniface chopped down a sacred tree dedicated to the god Thor, and was killed by the pagans there.
17. Who was the king who made a number of laws, including that “Any unbaptised Saxon who tried to hide himself and refuses baptism shall be put to death”?
18. Where did the Russians visit and describe as “heaven on earth”?
19. True or false: the Pope sent knights on crusade to stop them fighting with each other.
20. True or false: the crusaders killed other Christians as well as Muslims.
21. Who said “Preach at all times, and when necessary use words.”
22. Who asked all missionaries to know Hebrew, Aramaic, Syriac, and Greek, be willing to give up their life, and be able to argue with reason for Christianity being true.
23. Which language did missionaries introduce to Japan in order to describe who God was?
24. What present did Matthew Ricci take to China?
25. Which two countries tried to control South America?
26. How many places did Peter the Great of Russia send missionaries to?
27. What did missionaries try to do to get people to be baptised?
28. True or false. Protestant missionaries felt that children needed to be taught about the Bible in their own language instead of English.
29. Why was William Carey worried about taking his wife with him to India?
30. True or false. Everyone in St Andrews was extremely encouraging of missions.
31. True or false: William Carey made clear that inequality in the caste system of Hinduism was not going to be the same with new Christians.
32. True or false: Hindu mothers would let there children go easily and would sometimes follow them to conversion.
33. In the 20th century what political philosophy started and became strongly anti-Christian?
34. True or false: the United States of America sent almost half of the missionaries sent worldwide in the 20th century.
35. Name the Catholic nun who worked for most of her life in Calcutta, India.
36. Where did Jackie Pullinger go to work with drug addicts?
Treat yourself if you remembered some of these! MERRY CHRISTMAS! and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Answers: 1. True. 2. Buddhism, Christianity and Islam. 3. “morose and surly”, generally grumpy and bad-tempered. 4. True. 5. Good News. 6. Fast, very fast! 7. Must mention, travelling, making disciples, writing letters, debate. 8. 30,000 (will go between 25k-35k). 9. Generally, north & west. 10. Thomas. 11. Patrick. 12. Rise of Islam. 13. True. 14. 10,000 (will accept 9-11000). 15. Columba. 16. False, he cut down the tree to prove that his God was the true God and converted many people. 17. Charlemagne of France. 18. Constantinople. 19. True. 20. True. 21. Francis of Assisi. 22. Ramon Lull. 23. Portuguese. 24. A clock. 25. The Spanish and the Portuguese. 26. Seven. 27. They bribed people. 28. True. 29. Because she was pregnant and not well educated (she would have to learn Bengali). 30. False, many believed there was no point, or that people in the UK needed preachers to stay home. 31. True, there was a wedding of two people from different parts of the caste system. 32. False, most would threaten their own lives, beat their heads with stones, and weep uncontrollably. Children would be exiled from families if they converted. 33. Marxism/communism. 34. True. 35. Mother Teresa of Calcutta. 36. Hong Kong.